Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chapter One: The Surprising Life and Death of Diggory Franklin

I met a beautiful woman today. Twice. I’m still trying to figure that out.

I was standing in line at the local café, Coffee of Doom. Most of the other customers were emo kids, Goth types, and your average coffee house inhabitant wearing plaid and jeans. I was the only one wearing a suit. Well, that wasn’t by choice. I’d much rather slack my way through the day like the kids hanging out here, but I had a rich family and graduated from law school.

Be that as it may, I came here every day before work. I got my cup, and headed for the door. It opened and in walked this girl. She had sandy hair cropped short, and bright grey eyes that dazzled me. She was pleasantly curved, instead of looking half starved like most of the denizens of the coffee house. I barely had time to register her jeans and low cut sweater before she spoke.

“Have we met yet?” She asked me immediately, not even looking around the shop. It was like she was there for me, and not coffee.

“No, I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure…” I tried to be suave, but it might have come out “No, uh, wha?” I’m not totally sure.

She gripped the front of my suit jacket. I dropped my coat and my briefcase from my left hand. I barely held onto the coffee in my right. She looked into my face. Her eyes went wide.

“Stay away from me, if you want to live. Whatever you do, stay away!”

I tried to take a step back, wondering if I should call for help, but her grip was strong and the suit was Armani. And, instead of being afraid, I was kind of lost in her eyes.

“Hey, I don’t want any trouble,” I said, “It’s okay!”

Her eyes wavered and she moved to turn away. Then, she looked me in the eyes again and pulled on the jacket, bringing me in close. Her lips pressed to mine, soft and warm, and time held still. I heard her whisper: “I love you, Frank.” Then, she was gone. I opened my eyes and she was out the door.

It only took me half a second to realize that the prettiest woman I’d ever seen was about to disappear. I ran out after her, and saw her go around the corner. I jostled my way through the crowded street, trying to get past pedestrians on their way to work. Lucky me, the bus had just dumped a crowd between me and Helen of Troy or whoever it was that I was chasing.

I got around the corner, and looked down the street. I couldn’t see her amidst the human mass before me.

“Crap,” I said, eloquently. My name isn’t even Frank, and she was probably crazy, but it had sounded like she meant it when she said she loved me. I kicked the nearest garbage can very maturely. Then I walked back to the shop.

Where the same woman was sitting at a table, reading a newspaper. I did a double take and then walked closer.

“Excuse me, can I ask what that was about?” I said, trying to control the hammering in my chest. I wondered if it was actually audible to other people. I mean, my heart was pounding.

She looked up at me and I noticed her hair was a little longer. She had also found time to change clothes in the past two minutes, as she had a white blouse and more formal black pants. Her coat was hanging over the chair.

“Pardon?” She asked, putting down the newspaper. I blinked.

“When I was here, before. What was that about?”

“I imagine you purchased the coffee that you’re holding.” She smiled ironically and held up her own cup. “I bought one too.”

I blinked again, and looked around the shop. No one else was paying any attention.

“Let me start over. I’m a little frazzled this morning. Have you seen my coat or my briefcase? I dropped them before.”

She wrinkled her brow and then nodded towards an adjacent table. “The owner put them over there, said something about a regular having dropped them. She seemed certain you’d be back shortly.”

I nodded. “Thanks. I kind of need those. I wouldn’t get much done at work without my files.” I grabbed my stuff.

I looked at her over my shoulder. She had gone back to her paper with a shake of her head, as if to say “He needs his meds today.” Funnily enough, I had started the conversation thinking that about her. And now, I felt like the one who was crazy.

“Sorry about that,” I said. She barely looked up. I stepped over towards her table again. “This might sound silly, but you don’t have a sister, do you?”

“Your pick-up lines suck,” she said with a grin.

I felt flustered. “Excuse me?”

“It’s okay. I’m flattered. Not very interested, but flattered. You’ve been trying to get my attention since you got in here. You’re wasting your time, but I won’t hold it against you.”

I bristled a little. I guess I’m the type of person who loves a challenge. “Why is it a waste of time?”

“I’m not interested in dating, I am too busy with my studies. However, I do appreciate the compliment.”

I tried to be charming. She might have been acting like she didn’t remember that kiss (which made me wonder if I had hallucinated it) but it was worth seeing if it would happen again.

“You’re not really saying ‘go away,’ you know.” I smiled. “You could let me try again. I’m sure I can come up with a better pick-up line.”

She almost laughed. “I don’t go for lines. And I don’t date. But I wouldn’t mind knowing your name.”

“Diggory Franklin.” I shook hands with her.

“Calla Wiley. Very nice to meet you, Mr. Franklin. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get to class.”

“You’re a student?”

“Graduate student, in physics, yes.” She stood and gathered her things. “Have a nice day, Mr. Franklin.”

I thought quickly. “Let me give you my card. You know, in case you change your mind on the ‘no dating’ policy. Or, if you ever need a lawyer.”

“I doubt it,” she said, trying to stifle a smile. But she still took the card before she left.

I whistled all the way to work.


Next Chapter>>

13 comments:

Allan T Michaels said...

The Questionable Content reference is almost enough to get my vote for this story alone. :)

G.S. Williams said...

I love QC, glad you noticed.

For the record, I wrote to Jeph Jacques on his forum on his site to ask him if I could plug his comic. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I figure I'm giving him free advertising and much love.

Marten and Faye rule! QC is like a grown-up Calvin and Hobbes, only it's less C & H, and more Pintsize, robots, sex and music.

Kitabare said...

Ok, that answered my question. I noticed the name and was going to ask if it was a weird coincidence.

Hmm.. AE and QC. We seem to travel in the same circles. :)

G.S. Williams said...

In a roundabout way QC led me to AE and ToMU. Huh, I wonder if we'll develop a new language based on anagrams? I write NMaI, and TSP, and you should check out AlP, aka Alien Loves Predator.

I don't think you can give Superstition an anagram. It's just S.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I completely missed the QC reference until you pointed it out. Even then I had to hunt for it. I was all...Marten and Faye? Huh?

Allan T Michaels said...

Well, my next work has a nice long name, so you can abbreviate it. I've actually posted the first couple chapters, and more will be coming shortly (I usually don't advertise until I have the first few chapters up, so I give people something to read). It's available here:

http://anempireoflaw.blogspot.com/2008/05/book-1-forward.html

Yeah, I came to ToMU via S*P, but I also love QC.

And I hope you enjoy AEOL. :)

Sonja said...

I can't even begin to say how much I love this.

This is what I voted for.

Unknown said...

I am glad Diggory is winning. :D

Anonymous said...

I rather like the Diggory chap. I imagine she probably shortens his last name because his first sounds too posh. I did catch the QC reference, although it felt a little like vertigo, trying to insert an image-based story into a text-based one.

However, I hate you, because now I'm going to have to keep reading your story and I'll never get to sleep before 11PM ever again. It's a friendly kind of hate, I suppose.

G.S. Williams said...

I love making people hate me like that. Thanks :)

DESERT PUPS said...

Wow, that was really good. I guess I have a lot of catch up reading to do.

Van Occupanther said...

Alright, so I got on qwantz to see the latest Dinosaur Comic, when I saw an odd link. Curious, I clicked it and ended on Improbable Island. From there, I saw another interesting link and followed it to your page. Then as I began reading the comments, it seems as if there is some underground society of stories like this. I'm intrigued. The story, so far, is also really good.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.