Sunday, August 3, 2008

Chapter Thirty-Two: She Drives Me Crazy

“Listen, Bianca,” I said, after an incredibly awkward silence, “I don’t know what Calla’s said about me, but we’re just friends…”

“Calla doesn’t have friends. Or boyfriends. She has me, and that’s it. So where did you come from?”

I furrowed my brow. “I met her last week, at the coffee shop near my work. We flirted a little, sort of. She seems nice. I don’t know how I’ve offended you…”

“You haven’t.” Bianca smiled. “It’s my job to keep her safe. And I don’t know you. It’s nothing personal.”

“My balls are considerably personal.”

She laughed. “Lighten up! That’s hyperbole. Roomies and best friends are entitled.”

I tried to smile. “Well, she’s lucky to have such a dedicated friend. Seriously, I’m not here to hurt her, that’s far from my plans.”

“But you do want to date her, right? It’s not like you’re agenda free.”

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t attracted to her. But I have zero problem with just being friends with her.”

“That’s good. Because the chances of anything more are worse than the chances that I’ll marry Brad Pitt.”

Bianca sipped her water as I sat back in my chair, digesting what she’d just told me.

“Why are my chances so bad?”

She appraised me over the rim of her glass for several seconds. Then she shrugged.

“It’s not my job to protect you, just her. If you’re going to be persistent, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Bianca put her glass down on the coffee table.

“Persist with what? You already said she doesn’t have boyfriends. I guess that means you don’t need to worry.”

Bianca laughed again. “You’re stupid, Diggory. Do you think I’d be grilling you, if she wasn’t interested?”

I groaned. “You’re crazier than she is! You say she doesn’t date, that I don’t have a chance, and yet she’s interested? That makes no sense.”
“Of course it doesn’t. Calla probably doesn’t realize it herself. But she’s talked about you way too much in the past week for it to be just some casual thing, a random meeting with a nothing guy. She likes you. She just doesn’t know it yet.”

“So, again, why no chance?” I was getting tired of going round in circles.

“Because Calla is Calla. You’ll see.” Bianca got up. I stood, reflexively, trying to mind my manners with this incomprehensible girl.

She sighed. “You seem like a nice guy, Mr. Franklin. Calla is a nice girl. But that doesn’t mean she’s the right girl for you. Just trust me on this. You don’t want to get involved.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, I’m sure,” I said. “Maybe I would, if you weren’t being so damn cryptic about it.”

Bianca raised an eyebrow. “Look, I’m not going to share my friend’s problems with a stranger. I shouldn’t be saying anything at all, except that I don’t want you pushing your way into her life, only to find out you don’t want to be there. I don’t want her getting hurt. Get it? She has baggage enough. Don’t add to it.”

I nodded. “If it’s the bipolar thing, you don’t need to worry. I already suspected it, and wanted to talk to you about what to do.”

Bianca blinked. “Pardon?”

“Ever since she came to talk to me last Thursday evening, I’ve wondered what was going on. It’s the only explanation. Her mood swings are so volatile.”

This comment caused Bianca to laugh. I watched her, wondering if perhaps Calla wasn’t the only crazy person. Gradually, Bianca regained her composure.

“You think Calla’s crazy? She’s the most sane person I know, for all her problems. I’m thinking you’re the one who needs to see a shrink, Calla was with me last Thursday.”

“What?” I said, utterly shocked.

“Calla went to class like normal, and came home in the afternoon. She and I were here the whole time, watching movies. She told me she met you that morning, which is when I began to realize she must be interested, or she wouldn’t have mentioned it. Inviting you to the gallery was icing on the cake. But now… I think you’d better leave.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“We have enough to deal with here, without adding more craziness. Get out.”

1 comment:

Allan T Michaels said...

Eeeeeeenteresting. Now Bianca thinks DIGGORY'S nuts!?

haha - he better go to that meeting tomorrow.