Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chapter Five: 8 bit Love Song

Enraged, I ran up to the car at the intersection and bodily removed the driver from it, giving him a few kicks on the ground while I was at it. I got in, gunned the engine, and ran the red.

I sped down busy city streets, rushing around vehicles, looping through holes in the traffic, and even going up on the sidewalk. I think I hit a pedestrian, but I didn’t stop.

Tires screeching, I zoomed around a corner and saw my target. I opened up with my Uzi through the passenger window, ripping bullets through the air.

“Grand Theft Auto Four?” Matt said, leaning over the back of the couch. I paused and looked back at him.

“Yeah. It’s a great stress-reliever.”

“Nice. I haven’t made time to get this one yet.” He came around the couch and sat down. He was still in his work suit, while I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I hadn’t even bothered to shave. “How are you liking the PS3?”

“It’s great. This game is so smooth, compared to earlier versions. Which were pretty kick-ass, back in the day.”

“Dude, you should totally get a Wii.”

“Why?”

“No, a Nintendo Wii.”

“What? I’m not retarded. I know what a Wii is. I mean, why should I get one?”

Matt the Pimp laughed. “Chicks dig it. Have you ever had a date want to play video games? Well, they totally groove on the Wii. It’s more active, so they think it’s fun.”

“The graphics look so shabby…”

“Graphics don’t get you laid. Ask computer nerds.”

“Good point,” I laughed.

“Come on, get dressed.” He shoved my shoulder. “It’s Friday and we are going out.”

“Think that’s a good idea? Last night didn’t end so well.”

“Whose fault is that? I didn’t tell you to drown your sorrows in a bottle. Or twenty. We’re not going to the bar, anyway. There’s a student art show at my cousin’s gallery, we can check out the talent.”

I looked up at him, wrinkling my nose and forehead. “I didn’t know you were into the art scene.”

“I’m not. But fashionable women are, and sexy young art students, and rich chicks. Come on, they’re having a wine and cheese party.”

“Because we know how much I love cheese…”

************************************************************************

I got out of the shower and started towelling off. As I rubbed my wet hair, I thought I heard the phone.

“Can you get that?” I yelled out to Matt. I left the bathroom for the bedroom. I went to my dresser and opened the top drawer. I pulled on boxers and then peeked out the bedroom door.

I could just barely see Matt and the couch; he was talking on the handset as he tried to play the video game, craning his neck to hold the phone against his shoulder.

“Yeah, no, I’m his buddy. Matt… Nice to talk to you, too…He’ll be out in a minute, if you want…Okay, I’ll pass on the message. Thanks.”

Matt hung up the phone and put it on the side table. He turned back to the PS3.

“Who was that?” I asked

“Calla Wiley.”

“WHAT?” I ran into the room, leaping onto the couch and pushed past him to reach for the phone.

“Dude, get off me!” Matt protested, pushing me and trying to move away. “You’re still kinda damp. What are you doing?”

I hit *69 and waited for the phone to dial her back. I got a busy signal. Matt disentangled himself and moved over a seat cushion.

“Crap!”

“What?” Matt asked. “She was calling from a pay phone, just wanted to see if you were in.”

“Did she leave a number?”

“No.”

I sat down on the couch, running my fingers through my hair with a groan. Matt stared at me. I beat my fists into my knees.

“She’s really crawled inside your head, huh?”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I guess you could say that.”

Matt turned back to the video game. “Better you than me, man. I’m sorry I didn’t think to ask for her number.”

“It’s not your fault. Whatever, I’m fine.” I tried to be cool. Of course, I’m not very good at that.

“Yeah, real fine.” Matt laughed. “So, you getting dressed so we can leave? Or are you coming on to me, wearing just your underwear?”

I laughed and pushed his shoulder, tipping him over a bit. “Shut up. I really don’t feel like going.”

“Oh, okay. We can stay in, drink some beers, play video games. It’ll be like college.” He concentrated on the game. “Maybe order pizza. Only condition is, you have to wear clothes.”

“Sounds great to me.” I stood up, walking towards my room to grab something to wear. “I really don’t want to see some lame art show.”

Matt waited until I was through the door. He shouted out to me:

“Not even if Calla Wiley has friends in it, and called to invite you specifically?”


Next Chapter>>

7 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL. I loved how this chapter started. I was genuinely confused and thought, "Wait, how did the last one end?" until I got to the Uzi and then I started to wonder if I was reading the right blog. :p

But it was funny.

Unknown said...

Hehe, same here, was really confused, like huh? What doesn't care if he hit a couple of pedestrians? Uzi, what now? Maybe it's not Franklin we're seeing.. and then... Oh...

Really love this story

Allan T Michaels said...

Yeah, I definitely went back to check how the last chapter ended, and then when he mentioned hitting the pedestrian I clued in...

Also, I liked Matt's last line. He's a sneaky SOB.

Sonja said...

Lol.

I was confused as well and then it all made sense.

My boyfriend bought a Playstation 3 the day after I moved in. It's alright, I just watch movies on it. :p

Unknown said...

Heh, I've been known to spend hours and hours playing video games. But then, I'm most certainly not Matt's type.

G.S. Williams said...

I'm really glad everyone is receiving this well. NMAI is a little jealous, but I told it that it got a lot of attention from me for 10 years, so now Diggory can be the belle of the ball.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just thought I'd de-lurk and tell you how much I'm enjoying this :)