Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chapter Six: Story of a Girl

We took a cab to the gallery. Matt led the way as we got out.

“There’s just one thing bugging me. Didn’t this Calla chick tell you she didn’t want to see you yesterday? And not to call her back?”

I kept walking. “Yeah, so?”

“Well, aren’t you doing the exact opposite of what she said?”

I opened the door to the gallery.

“Yes, but she called me. If she didn’t want me around, she wouldn’t have called.”

Matt squinted, thinking. “Um, but she told you not to answer her calls. She sounds crazy. Are we chasing after a crazy chick? Because that’s bad mojo.”

“Mojo? Who are you, Austin Powers?” I laughed, going inside.

Matt grimaced and grabbed my arm. “I get that I’m not making sense. And I’m usually the last person to talk you out of chasing a girl. But this time: isn’t there a flaw to the logic? She’s crazy.”

“You’ve never even met her,” I laughed.

“No, but you have. Apparently three different times, and not one of them made any sense. I have a bad feeling about this.”

I tried to laugh it off, pulling my arm away from him. “Let’s just have some fun. Maybe she won’t even be here.”

Matt shrugged and followed me into the gallery. We ran into his cousin Sheila the Snob pretty quickly, as she showed off a set of photographs to some of her clients. They air-kissed, quite fashionably, and I simply smiled a hello.

“Diggory, darling, you simply must call me. My girlfriends are dying to see you again after that party at the summer house.” Sheila was all smiles, as usual. Too bad for her that I hated her dyed blonde hair and chic black dresses. All style and no substance.

“Well, Sheila, what can I say? A lawyer’s work is never done.”

Matt promised we’d check in later, and tugged me over to the cheese buffet, where it sat in artful chunks amidst fruit. I couldn’t even name all the kinds. But then, I don’t need names to enjoy wine, either, and neither of us hesitated in pouring a glass.

“So, do you see her?” Matt asked. We mingled in the crowd, faking interest in black and white photographs and weird paintings.

“Not yet.” I scanned the faces. The Fashionable Rich mingled with students from the university, some of whom were the Spoiled Rich, children of the wealthy. Then there was the fake Philanthropic Rich, looking to be someone’s benefactor. Make a donation to the university, sponsor a young career, earn some points at the country club.

Waitresses weaved through the crowd with plates of appetizers and drinks. I grabbed a few shrimp, while Matt grabbed a cocktail and some ass.

“Hey, Daphne.” He winked at an old flame as she handed out drinks, causing her to smile back.

“Daphne?” I asked.

“Three months ago, we were hot and heavy for a few weeks. Remember?”

“I’m impressed you do. Since then there’s been Amber, Yvonne, Stacey…”

“Shhhh. Daphne might hear you. I know one of us won’t be going home empty-handed.”

I groaned and wandered away. I tried to ignore the crowd, and the music in the background. I wiped Matt the Pimp and his girls from my mind. Sheila and her fake friends didn’t exist. I just let it all fall away and looked around.

I didn’t see Calla. But I did see a photograph I liked. It was of a young woman on a swing in silhouette, under a tree. The picture was black and white, so the hues of grey throughout the piece made me feel suddenly isolated and wistful. It matched my internal mood perfectly. I stood there and stared, for once letting art reach me.

“Lovely piece, isn’t it?” A voice intruded on my reverie.

“Uh, yeah.” I tried to ignore this interloper, and reconnect with the picture. I studiously stared forward, hoping they’d get the message that I wasn’t really listening to them.

“I really like the artist’s use of light. Really captures the mood.”

“Sure.” I moved a step to my right, away from the speaker. I put my left hand on my right elbow, blocking myself off, and put my right hand on my chin, as if deep in thought. Go away, I projected telepathically, hoping for once it would work.

“Its mood is almost palpable, almost sensual, don’t you think?” The voice was actually closer, as if they had leaned towards me suggestively. I realized the voice was extremely feminine and rich.

“It’s a great picture. Do you mind? I’m trying to appreciate art here.”

I turned snappishly to try to get this girl to back off, and stared into the soft grey eyes of my mystery woman. I felt the air in my lungs escape me with the subtlety of a punch in the gut, as I stopped myself from yelling at her. How could I yell at Helen of Troy?

“Speechless, Mr. Franklin? It suits you. Keeps you from embarrassing pick-up lines.”

I blushed. Calla was wearing a charcoal sweater, one of those soft ones with a big neck that covers and simultaneously opens to show a bare shoulder as a woman moves. She had black stockings and a darker skirt, with a grey pattern interweaving. She was wearing earrings, which she hadn’t before, and looked a lot less stern.

Well, either way, to me she looked beautiful.

“Miss Wiley, fancy meeting you here.”

“I invited you,” she smiled, sipping her drink.

“Right.” I hit my forehead. “Should I just insert my foot in my mouth now? It seems like it belongs there.”

Surprisingly, I was rewarded with laughter. It was a cheerful, joyous sound. I’d never appreciated laughter before.

Crap, I had it bad. I wondered how long it would be before I was growing my hair long, sitting under trees and writing sonnets. I wondered how long after that it would be before Matt was slapping me upside the head and taking me to Vegas to look at strippers and showgirls. I had to get my head together.

“So, why did you invite me?” I asked, smiling at her. “It was quite unexpected.”

Calla sipped her wine, looking up at me. “Well, the way you blew our first meeting was kind of cute. I figured maybe you deserved a second chance.”

“Or a third and fourth?” I asked.

She laughed again. “Why, do you think it will take that many tries to make a good impression?”


Next Chapter>>

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, just noticed all the chapter titles are song titles.
Now I have a half dozen songs running through my brain, thanks ever so. :P

Poor Diggory! One of these meetings he'll figure out what's going on.

G.S. Williams said...

I wondered if anyone would notice.

It's just something I'm trying: I find songs that come close to what the chapter is about thematically, or a line that works.

If it's annoying I can stop. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention that I like the story so far and look forward to more.

Sonja said...

Is the photograph real?

Regarding the titles -- this is the first one that I noticed and I promptly went and listened to it.

I absolutely love her when she smiles...

Well this chapter gave me a happy feeling. Don't know why though.

Anonymous said...

nope, the song titles aren't annoying. :) I just had to go looking at the rest of the chapter titles, and went 'hey, I know that one and that one...that one too!'
But if they come one at a time it's not so bad. :)

G.S. Williams said...

I really just wanted to try it. On early editions of NMAI I had famous quotations, but there were way too many. AE on TOMU has a funny oneliner about each chapter, and I didn't want to copy that. So I came up with the song thing, as a way to tie in thematically. Some of them are songs I've never heard, but the lyrics sort of fit.

As for the photograph, it's as imaginary as the characters, sorry Sonja.

and thanks Jim!

Allan T Michaels said...

Great story Gavin!

Really enjoying it.

Unknown said...

Heh, this is the first time I actually noticed that the title was a song title. Looking back, I know "There She Goes Again" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" as well.

Until I got to the comments I thought the correlation to a song was coincidence but Story of A Girl started going through my head anyway.

As to the chapter... wow Diggory is a judgmental one. Got a laugh out of the fact that Matt is the one actually "getting" the whole potential wrongness of what's going on but Diggory is still clueless as ever. Clueless enough to take forever to figure out that it's Calla talking to him. *shakes head* Boy needs to get more sleep, or something.

G.S. Williams said...

Diggory's judgemental? I guess we need some character development in the plotline, eh?

Plus, I'm often amused by his general oblivious-ness. I think I just made up a word. ;)

Unknown said...

Well, he's constantly looking down on Matt, which, yes Matt is a horny womanizer (let's hope he doesn't start kidnapping women and raping them, :P) but if he's Digg's best friend... that tells me Digg likes to have someone to look down on. Like the Happy Bunny poster says, "Let's be friends. I'd like a dumb friend."

And then he goes around the art gallery with a stick up his ass about Everyone there, like he knows all their innermost thoughts and feelings.

You as the author may say, "But he's right about them!" But still it reads less like authorial authority and more like Diggory just assuming he knows all. And highly disapproves.

Ergo he comes off as the judgmental sort.

Which is alright, unless you really don't want him to be....

G.S. Williams said...

Sorry Sarah, I was being facetious and that tone doesn't really translate well on the Internet.

I meant, yes, Digger is pretty judgemental. He is very Happy Bunny right now. (I find them hilarious). He's got some good qualities, and a mess of bad ones too. He's human.

But he's got plenty of potential for good storylines. (I hope readers agree). That wasn't authorial approval, that was me saying "he's judgemental for a reason." Gives him room to grow.

Or get worse. As you pointed out, sometimes my characters do some bad things.

(Just so you know, I caught that Dan reference. Matt is similar to Dan, so far, but I'm expanding his character)

Unknown said...

Oh. Great. I *love* explaining myself when it's totally unnecessary.

:P

I have a Happy Bunny poster which has a whole bunch of panels. It makes me... happy...

On a random note... ever consider deriving fantasy names from catchpa?

Uleyab. Has potential.