Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chapter Twenty-One: That's What Friends Are For (the vulture song)

Chris Geertz pulled me aside after a bit.

“Nice touch on the surprise party, I totally didn’t see that coming,” I said.

“Hey, you’re welcome, buddy!” Chris clapped me on the back. “I’m really excited for you. But it’s not all fun and games. I want you to mingle, get a feel for who you want on your team in Colorado. I figure two more associates, maybe one of the interns, and three secretaries. Okay?”

“No problem.”

I couldn’t believe Chris. “Buddy.” He was such a decent guy. My father was going to stab a good man in the back, just because I showed a little ambition.

I looked around the room, returning smiles whenever someone glanced my way. Of course I considered Lorraine first. She was meticulous, and tough. We’d worked together practically since I graduated school. She had family here in town, though, and might not be up for travelling. I’d ask her first, but perhaps it would be best to leave her here to run the home office until my return. It would be good to have someone reliable here to touch base with.

I mingled, like Chris said. Grabbed people slices of pizza, offered to grab someone a drink. Made chit chat. And assessed everyone. There was a good mix among the associates in age. Some were recently out of law school, within the past five years, while others were experienced veterans. This older bunch was all male, most of them middle-aged dads. The younger group was more balanced between men and women.

I ruled out the married guys. They were solid and dependable, but if Lorraine might be uncomfortable leaving family behind, I didn’t want to put them through the same. Some of them might not even think about it, I knew that a few had problems in their marriages. But I certainly didn’t want to add to that. It would be nice to have a seasoned associate, but I’d have to make sure I picked one with no family.

That left the younger crowd. They were all eager to make names for themselves, just like I was. But I was the best of the bunch, that’s why this opportunity had arisen. Who was competitive enough that they would resent my promotion? Conversely, who was driven enough to keep up with me out in Colorado, without minding that I was in charge? That was a delicate balance. I didn’t want the sheep who needed to be handheld. But I also didn’t want wolves at my back.

Choosing secretaries wouldn’t be much of a problem, I’d just take the ones belonging to the associates I had picked. If they wanted a different one, for reasons similar to mine with Lorraine, they could recruit their own. Interns were a different matter. Chris probably wanted whomever I chose to learn from the experience, get a handle on property law and contract negotiations. Meanwhile, they’d help us on briefs and research, and get coffee when secretaries were too busy. A “gopher.”

Unfortunately, I didn’t know the interns too well. Perhaps I could set up time to interview each of them. Chris probably wouldn’t mind. There were only five, so it couldn’t take that long.

The little party was winding down. I nodded to Chris, and he followed me out of the conference room and back down the hall.

“Any thoughts?” He asked.

“I’ve got a few options in mind. I’m going to ask Lorraine first, out of loyalty, but I’m fairly certain I want her here minding the store until I get back. She can take point on organizing meetings here, doing research, take care of my other files. I’d rather have her doing it, familiar as she is, rather than bring someone new up to speed.”

“Good thinking. And associates? I was thinking Paulson and Reed.”

I shook my head. Erik Paulson was pushy. He drove a fast sports car and flirted with secretaries. The guy had “Alpha Male” written all over him, and would likely be one of the ones resenting my position. Nick Reed was a flake; he tried hard but was disorganized. I imagined Chris had some sense after all: he likely wanted Paulson off his own back, and someone else to fix Reed’s mistakes.

“Reed and I worked together on that arbitration thing last March. Our styles don’t really mesh that well. And Paulson’s not a team player, you know that as well as I do. He’s already slept with three secretaries that I know of, and it’s causing tension on the floor.”

Chris nodded. “You’re absolutely right. You’re the right man for this job, after all. Excellent insight. So, who would you pick?”

“I’m considering Bill Fayter. He’s diligent, friendly, and has a lot of experience. He isn’t the most aggressive lawyer, so you won’t need him to take point on any projects around here. The department won’t miss him. But he gets things done, so he’ll be an asset out west.”

Chris nodded. “Anyone else?”

“I’m still sizing up the younger associates. Bill’s the only one of the veterans who isn’t married or who doesn’t have kids. I think it would be a great experience for one of the newer lawyers, I just have to work out which one. And, I’d like to interview all five interns. Give them the chance to prove themselves.”

“Very wise. It’ll give them some incentive to compete with each other, and gear them up for what it’s like in the real world as a lawyer. I’m impressed, Diggory. Keep it up!”

Next Chapter>>

No comments: