Monday, July 21, 2008

Chapter Twenty-Six: Scenes from a Coffee House

I cut myself shaving. Then, I popped a button on the shirt I wanted to wear. I changed quickly and grabbed another Pop-Tart from the fridge as I dashed out the front door.

It seemed everyone was leaving at the same time, so the elevator kept stopping and starting, until it was very crowded. We eventually made it to the lobby, where I had a hell of a time finding a cab.

I shrugged it off and took the subway downtown, and worried about whether or not I’d make my eight o’clock meeting with Calla. Time ticked away, and all I could do was sit there. I stood on the train, holding a bar, and watching stations flow past.

As soon as the doors opened at my stop, I was off and running. I bounded up the stairs two at a time, just to get out to the street. The coffee house was up a block, and I sprinted. My Rolex said it was almost eight. I ran.

Which might have been a poor choice.

I came through the door at a run, and bumped right into someone on their way out, which caused their coffee to spill. All over my shirt.

“OWWWWWWWWW!”

“I’m so sorry, oh my, I didn’t see you there!” The person brushed at my shirt with napkins, apologizing.

“Owwww, it’s okay. That was hot! No, seriously, I’ll live.” I tried to take over, stepping to the side and dabbing with the napkins.

“I was just coming outside to see if you were on your way.”

I looked up and realized it was Calla.

“We sure have a way of running into each other, don’t we?” I tried to laugh it off.

Calla looked at me funny. “Pardon? Other than here last week, we’ve only seen each other at the gallery. Which I invited you to, remember?”

She was staring at me like I was crazy. Which was possible, aside from the fact that she had run into me almost this same way in the lobby of my office building last Thursday. I remembered it well, why didn’t she?

“I just meant… I keep making a jackass out of myself whenever we do see each other. I’m pretty clueless, aren’t I?” I tried a smile.

“Well, I wouldn’t say ‘jackass.’ You just don’t pay attention well.” She smiled, holding out more napkins. “Is your shirt okay?”

“Well, it’ll wash. I just need to get out my spare at the office later.” I looked around. “Can we sit?”

“Sure. Did you want to order something?”

“Huh?” I said, ever articulate. It’s easy to see how I graduated law school.

“Coffee? Tea? Did you want to order?” Calla sat down, and I took my seat.

“No, I’m fine. Thank you. I just wanted to see you.”

She blushed a little, staring at her hands. She had clasped them on top of the table.

“I… I’m glad you invited me. It would be nice to have friends in town besides Bianca.”

I looked at her, staring at her fingers. She was shy!

“Hey, it’s… Well, I just…” I blew hard in frustration, unable to think of the right thing to say. “I know you don’t want to date or anything, but I really like you.” It just kind of came out. She looked so damn adorable sitting there, feeling awkward. Calla looked up at me.

“I realize that we just met,” I said, before she could stop me, “And I know you’re a busy person, and I know I’m some random stranger. I’d like us to be friends. My parents are having a party tomorrow night, and I’d love to take you. But just as friends!”

Calla pursed her lips. Her fingers tightened. I couldn’t tell if she was about to tell me off, or say something nice. Her eyes flickered with some unspoken emotion. Shit! Why did she seem so cute? When did I become such a dork?

“Sure,” she finally spat out. “Sounds great.”

“Where can I pick you up?”

“I’ll give you directions. How should I dress?”

I blinked. “Probably the best that you have, my mother is a total snob.”

Calla laughed, her voice startling in its volume and clarity. I couldn’t help but smile as other patrons looked at us over their coffee and newspapers.

She reached across the table and took my hand, writing her address on it with a pen from her bag. I stared into her eyes, frozen by the sudden intimacy of her touch.

Next Chapter>>

4 comments:

G.S. Williams said...

Bonus Chapter!

Thanks to my "anonymous" donater. You know who you are! :)

Allan T Michaels said...

Woo! Yay for bonus chapters! Thanks anonymous!

Anonymous said...

you're welcome!
Digger's so cute, all awkward and shy around Calla but perfectly fine around Vanessa.

Unknown said...

I like Digg better when he's around Calla than Vanessa. He's all cute and bumbling. LOL.