Sunday, July 13, 2008

Chapter Twenty-Two: Foxy Lady

I spent the afternoon on the computer, looking at the files of my colleagues. Chris provided me with access, wanting me to choose the best team possible. I could see what kind of hours people put in, the files they were working on, contracts they’d handled. It would have been overwhelming, so I limited myself to just the past three months. I wanted a picture of what their work habits were like now, not two years ago.

There was a knock on my door around four o’clock. I looked up and saw Vanessa “Foxy” Brown. That was what Matt the Pimp called her, so you’ll excuse the source. I wondered if it was really a fair moniker, considering Pam Grier’s movie was a blaxploitation film, and Vanessa was white. However, she was hot enough to be labelled “foxy.” I smiled.

“Afternoon.”

“Hey, Diggory. Can I come in?” She smiled back.

“Of course.”

Vanessa crossed the short distance from the doorway to my desk. It gave me a brief moment to enjoy the sight of her long legs in motion. She was wearing heels and a dark skirt, with a cream coloured blouse. Her caramel hair was up on her head, but not like a bun. I think it’s called a French Twist? What do you want from me: I have testicles.

She sat on the edge of the desk. I tilted my neck to look her in the eye.

“I wasn’t able to make the party, I was busy with a client across town. Wanted to pass on my congratulations.”

“Well, thank you.”

“No, I mean it! I was worried that Paulson was going to get it, and he’s creeped me out ever since hitting on me at the Christmas party last year.”

I smiled. It was nice to know that I wasn’t the only one with misgivings about Paulson.

“Well, I’m pretty glad he didn’t get it either. However, I have a new problem. I’m trying to select two associates to go with me.”

“Well, of course you’re going to pick me.” She grinned. “Who else are you considering?”

I looked at her seriously. To be honest, she was one of my top three picks. Diligent, assertive, well educated. She was younger than Paulson and myself, so it was unlikely that she’d been hoping for the promotion herself. But, word on the floor was that she was hungry, eager to prove she had what it took.

“I’m thinking Fayter, he’s steadfast.”

“Nice choice! He won’t hamstring you, and knows his stuff. I worked with him on that mediated union agreement in Tennessee in June.”

“Oh, right, the factory thing… I forgot that you two travelled for that one.” I stroked my chin thoughtfully.

“Come on, Diggory! You know I can do this. You know you want to take me.”

Vanessa leaned a little closer, her head on her shoulder, looking down into my eyes. Something about her expression seemed almost provocative. Maybe she was better at telepathy than me, I could almost hear her thoughts. Pick me, I’ll be really grateful. I blushed for a moment and pushed back a bit in my chair.

“I’m not Paulson, Vanessa. This will be strictly business.”

She blinked. “Oh, of course! I would appreciate that. You and Fayter are probably the only associates who don’t see me as just a skirt.”

“Well, the older guys really don’t think women can practice law. I, on the other hand, am much more progressive.”

She laughed. “A real champion of equal rights?”

“Well, it’s the twenty-first century. Time to let you girls out of the kitchen.” I winked.

Vanessa laughed again. “Yeah, you’re a way better choice than Paulson. How about you let me buy you dinner tonight, and we’ll discuss the details?”

“Sure. You can help me figure out which intern to take.”

“See you at seven?”

“Great.” I grinned. Vanessa smiled back and slid off the desk, heading for the door. She glanced at me on her way out.

I leaned back in my chair, grinning to myself. This day kept getting better and better.

Well, that’s what I thought until the phone rang. I picked up. Lorraine spoke.

“A Miss Calla Wiley on line three for you, sir.”

Next Chapter>>

6 comments:

Unknown said...

MOAR Calla!

She makes things interesting.

Diggory knows he likes it, even if he flails and complains.

Who wants boring ol' success at lawyering when you can be distracted by a crazy chick with a dual personality who likes to make presentiments of doom?

Unknown said...

Oh, and nice try with the testicle comment but being able to correctly identify the French Twist after all kind of ruins the joke. :P

Allan T Michaels said...

Another wonderful chapter. I am really enjoying Diggory.

Sonja said...

Smooth!

And yay Calla.

A few comments though (I know I know, such a wet blanket). The description of Vanessa was passive to me -- both grammatically and otherwise. The testicle joke sort of saved it, but I think the paragraph could use some work.

Also you have:

I looked up and saw Vanessa "Foxy" Brown

and

She sat on the edge of the desk. I looked up.

I think there's a continuity error as I didn't see a reference to him looking down.

G.S. Williams said...

@ Sarah: I like the "presentiments of doom" comment. But, who says he correctly identified her hairstyle? Diggory might be reaching for the only hairstyle he knows the name of. That's why he's claiming testicles as a defense of ignorance.

@ Allan: thanks!

@ Sonja: You're right, those sentences could use more clarity. However, it's not so much a continuity/looking down thing. He looks up from his work to see her at his door, and then looks up higher to see her face while she sits up on his desk. But I can fix those sentences to make it more evident. Thanks!

Sonja said...

Imo, it reads a lot better now. :)